Tuesday 31 January 2012

Design week

Just to warn you, this one is a bit wordy... There are some pics at the end as a reward though :)

Since it's interim and all our projects are getting marked, we cant really use our studio to do any work (and we're not supposed to have our new brief shhhh!) so CCAD has organised Design Week - loads of artisty types are coming in and giving lectures and workshops and we had to sign up to all the ones we wanted. Today was my first one, it was a lecture and a workshop by Dr Manny Ling, Calligrapher (we like him, he smells books too). The lecture was quite interesting - he was talking about his work and what inspired him - but I loved the workshop. I think it helps that I'm a very practical person and I like the 'doing' and playing bit best.

He taught us how to make a calligraphy pen out of a coke can (I think I was the only person who managed to stab myself in the knuckle though! No, mum, there wasn't really any blood... :) ) and he made us have a play with them drawing squiggley lines (he actually said his looked a bit like an ECG!) and 101011010110111011001101 a lot cos basically all letters are made up of the 1 and 0 shape to varying degrees. Then we got to try actual letters and writing our name just normally before he had us doing it in a more graphicy way (that confused me cos my N's looked like Z's at times) and something that looked like flowers but I wasn't too keen on my flower ones, I blame it on the fact my name has a J in it :) 

So, this is what I spent most of the afternoon doing..... 







They were the sensible ones but I wanted to do one with some really nice words on it, since I have a slight obsession with nice words, and these were the first ones that popped into my head. (Unfortunately, I didn't come up with them, if I had that would've been awesome...)

Vin Garbutt makes me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment